Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

...On Blueberry Hill

With the wealth of you-pick farms around, there's bound to be a wealth of berries in our house during the summer, and you can't freeze 'em all! I tried a Blueberry Buckle recipe from my daily Martha Stewart emails that was really good. Then I got a facebook comment talking about blueberry bars...do tell, said I!
I got the following recipe from my sister-in-law's mom and they are phenomenal! It was under an hour from ingredient prep to fork in my mouth...yum!




Blueberry Bars a la Nancy Friesen

1 c. flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 c. oats
1/2 t salt
2 1/2 c. blueberries
1/4 c. sugar

Mix all ingredients except berries and 1/4 c. sugar with a pastry blender or two forks until crumbly in texture, and press half into a buttered 9 inch baking dish. Cover first layer with the berries and sprinkle the 1/4 c. sugar on top. Press second half of crumble mixture and bake in a 375 oven for 45 minutes until brown and bubbly. Nancy suggests making extra and freezing them for a rainy day.
I may add some cinnamon the next time I make them, in the crust...yummy!
*Update: I made them several more times, using half whole-wheat flour and about two tablespoons of sugar, and they were still every bit as good!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Portlandia said...

I also recommend blueberry jam - surprisingly delicious. I'll have to try these blueberry bars! We are muffin-pancake-buckle'd out.

Sally HP said...

I'm adding blueberries to my strawberry jam when I make it tonight...hopefully it turns out good!