Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Another Knitty Project

Yes, I am still knitting! It always seems that when you're pregnant, everyone around you becomes pregnant as well. I have several friends who are expecting a new little one about the same time that I am, so I'm starting my craftavaganza early this time. Here's my first completed project, which was based on a Lion pattern, but tweaked to fit my needs. I knitted this with two strands of Bernat Softee Baby held together, and size 10.5 circular needles; casting on 128 stitches. The checks are created by a simple k10, p10 pattern with a 4 garter stitch border. The first and last 8 rows are simple garter stitch. (I bought 4 skeins, but have leftovers of the 3rd and 4th skeins, so you could easily do a hat and booties as well.) I'm not a huge fan of synthetic fibers but, financially, it's what I generally use, and they're great for durability and washability in baby blankets. The pattern makes this yarn really soft, and I'm excited for Mama J to get it. The sunlight was too bright, so you can't tell that it's a super bright yellow...oh, well. This is a great project for beginners and took me only about 3 weeks of VERY sporadic knitting, probably about 10-12 hours total knitting time. I'm way too impatient to block baby blankets, so this close-up is of the check pattern, unblocked.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: