Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2009

One Fish, Two Fish

I logged onto gmail today and saw an email from my best friend, you know, the one who's so sensitive to your likes and dislikes, knows all about you, never forgets your birthday or anyone else's and constantly recommends great products based on ones you've bought before? Yep, that's right; My pal Amazon.


"Dear Amazon.com Customer,


Celebrate Read Across America on March 2, the birthday of Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel, whose playful rhymes and whimsical stories have helped generations of children learn to read. Explore our featured favorites in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday, and visit the Dr. Seuss Author Store to learn more about the man behind children's classics like The Cat in the Hat and Horton Hears a Who!"


I, like approximately 90% of the population, love Dr. Seuss. Living in Massachusetts now, we have a membership to the Springfield Museums so that we could get the reciprocity with Boston Children's Museum, the Ecotarium and other local attractions. BUT one of the cool things at the Springfield Museum (Springfield being the hometown of Dr. Geisel) is the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden. We've not yet visited it, but we'll be hitting it as soon as the weather warms up a little bit. I think it's something that both kids will love it, as I've heard only good things from my friends who've been before.


Cozy up with your favorite Seuss classic on March 2nd and join millions of other people who'll be celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday.


We'll most likely be reading The Lorax, as it's one of H's favorites. I was surprised when I read it to him the first time, as I realized that it was one of a few Dr. Seuss books I'd not read before. It has a great message about preserving natural resources and being more careful about the impact we have on our surroundings. The Onceler nails rampant consumerism when he smirks at the Lorax after selling his first Thnead; "You poor stupid guy. You never can tell what some people will buy."


On that note, J and I have been doing really well on our month-long commitment to forgo unnecessary purchases. The only thing I've made was a pack of four Curious George books for H's Easter Basket on craigslist that were drastically lower than the retail price and 100% of the money went to a cervical cancer charity; totally acceptable!

No comments: