Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Frustration Station

(Sung to the tune of Kingston Trio's MTA)

Let me tell you the story
of a mom named Sally
one rainy and fateful daaaaaaaaaaay.
Bathed and fed her boy, but H would not go to sleep
without the song about the MTA.

So, a little background. J's parents were in town for two weeks. Most nights, J's dad would sing H to sleep with the MTA song. For those of you not familiar, click here or check out the song on iTunes.

By 10pm, I had listened to and sung the song a minimum of times, and rocked H for 40 minutes (he never lets me rock him anymore, so it was a whole new level of stalling for him). At 10:15 I tucked H into bed sound asleep, and went to fold the load of laundry waiting for me. As soon as I swept the wrinkles out of the last shirt I heard the yelping sound of C waking for his first feeding frenzy of the night.

J walked in the door ten minutes later and I went to bed. Unlike Alex's kids, H wakes by 6 or 6:30 regardless of the time he went to bed. I was sitting in the living room trying to knit and have about two seconds of peace when H requested to help me knit. I emphatically told him that mommy needed some quiet time, and that he needed to sit and watch PBS kids (have you seen Sid the Science Kid yet? It's kind of obnoxious.)

So began the countdown to when I could leave the house for Playtown Express, and sit on the couch while H runs, jumps and plays himself silly.

If I had that stupid magnet with the different emotions so that you can identify your feeling (as if the expression on one's face weren't social cue enough) I'd move the square so that the exhausted-and-desperately-in-need-of-a-massage-and-time-at-a-quiet-spa-sans-kids, without-having-to-use-babysitting-tokens-because-my-husband-is-at-home-with-them emotion were exposed.

It's just one of those days. Now I'm taking a deep breath, taking my last gulp of coffee and going back downstairs to re-start my day with H...sometimes you just need a little do-over.

No comments: