Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah, Palin and Tall

While watching the RNC last night, it dawned on me that I now see where Trey Parker and Matt Stone got the inspiration for Mr. Garrison...did you see Rudy Giuliani speak? All he needed was a hand puppet.

As everyone talked about how much more experience McCain has, I looked at J and said 'Of course he has more experience, he's 400 years old!' Also, while I have great respect and appreciation for his service and dedication to our country, that does not mean that I want him to be my next president. People should not equate non-support for his presidential ticket with a lack of respect for his POW experiences and other service.

There are so many things that are issue for discussion from last night's speeches. As I was watching the PBS commentary, they interviewed former Massachusetts Governor, Jane Swift (the first (and only, aside from Palin) pregnant Governor), who very candidly talked about the issues of balancing career and family. She pointed out, and I agree, that it's disheartening that one of the first things to happen is that Palin's children came under fire. The McCain campaign issued a press release stating that Palin's 17 year-old daughter is pregnant, and it's also been pointed out that Palin returned to work just days after giving birth to a child with Down's Syndrome. I know that by virtue of blogging about this, I'm contributing to it, but I feel like it's really sad that her kids, who did not choose to be a part of this campaign, are being used to create sympathy or spite. I don't think it's an accident that McCain, having never met Palin until about a week ago, chose a woman who will provide so much fodder for pundits (or pundints as she called them in her speech) and the public in general.

I'm not going talk much about her speech last night, because it was so incredibly predictable. I have to say, however, that I'm surprised they didn't do more to try and get an aura of Hillary from her after all the talk that Hillary supporters would come a'flocking to her side.

I'm glad that she didn't address the issue that has been raised about her being at the center of the "mommy wars" now, because a) I've never been a fan of that phrase and b)at the very core, it's sometimes hard to keep in mind that if we wouldn't be asking a question of a male candidate, we shouldn't ask it of a female...because you know we would not be questioning a man's ability to balance having a family and being Vice President, he would be lauded as a family man with great ambitions for his legacy.

Wow, I'm starting to sound like a Palin fan...but, never fear, I'm well-aware that the McCain camp searched long and hard to find a candidate who they thought could do just that.

But the best part of the whole night was this...this is exactly why you don't put the two littlest together...little Piper was just making sure that Trig was camera ready.

2 comments:

Kevin McKeever said...

The Lickey Stickey look is what all the kids are wearing these days.

ShopDownLite.com said...

I love the puppet comment - too funny.
Stef
http://www.shopdownlite.com