Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Heirloom Treasures

I've been talking and talking and talking to J (and anyone who will listen) about growing tomatoes and peppers on the patio of our apartment this summer. I checked the book Square Foot Gardening out at the library, and it has a lot of good information.


Then, Henry Charlie and I were at a tour of Warren Farm and Sugar House a couple week-ends ago to see how "Saaaaarap" gets made and she had magnets at the register advertising her heirloom tomato plant sale.

Not only do they sell heirloom tomato plants, but they have "Patio Tomato Planters and Hanging Baskets"...phew! This is way more my speed, as I should be dipping my toes in (ask my friend Les, who can tell you how well I keep most plants alive) instead of building planters and starting from seed on my first try.

I can already taste the fresh tomato-basil-mozzarella salad that I'll be able to drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar when summer's in full-swing.

Don't worry, I don't plan to make my own mozzarella...I do know my own limitations. Sometimes. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Crafty Mama said...

I planted a garden last year and it was a success! I'm going for tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and cucumbers this year. I'd love to hear how your tomatoes go on the patio. :)

That Girl said...

After three years of planing tomatoes in our garden we decided to go with just patio container tomatoes last year. They were our best yet! We did three different varieties, and little j was always out picking and eating. I highly recommend the patio varieties.