Pages

Monday, December 31, 2018

More is More

My friend posted a stunning New Year's Eve outfit on the socials this morning accompanied by an Iris Apfel quote; 'More is more and less is a bore.' Yes.

I'm in the last year of my 30's and I've gotta say, I'm super excited for 40. I've spent the last year plus in the throes of starting a new business (Purl2 Walla Walla - Stop by if you're in town!) with a good friend and it's been an amazing year of learning more about myself, re-learning that elusive work-life balance. Acknowledging the things I suck at and working to rectify them if I need to, or asking for the help to fill in the blanks. Recognizing things I'm really good at and trying to let them shine.

This year. I want more. 

More laughter that makes me throw my head back, more tender glances at my kids so they have no doubts that my stern voice at times is backed with an endless well of love and empathy for them, more time spent without a screen to separate us, more fresh air breathed in. A little time by the ocean, some more in the mountains. A few deep breaths to take a beat and remember that parenting a range of kids, or any kids at all, is really fucking hard, but it doesn't have to be a slog; they're going to be okay. Being a rigid hag won't help anything.

More grace with my husband, more grace with myself. More movement of my body for the sake of how glorious it feels to work hard, not as a punishment or a guilty reaction to whatever I just ate. More appreciation of all that my body has done for me, less lamenting the things I don't love about it. Because for reals, what's more boring than hearing about what people hate about themselves?

More really good meals that take a long time to consume and are filled with conversation. More friends at my table. More time to be creative in a conscious way. Less clutter, leaving more space to be. More books read, more time spent listening. More of 'if it's not a hell yes, it's a no' to leave room for the things I really want to do. More travel. More exposure to cultures I don't understand, or don't know enough about.

There is a definite swing in our culture in this direction, and I am hopeful. We have so much chaos and ugliness right now, I want to do what I can to bring light. As a naturally anxious worst-case-scenario person, this is work. At the end of the day, or year, or life, I know it will be work worth doing. What do you want more of this year? What are you doing to make it happen?

Cheers to a 2019 that you'll reflect on with happiness and feelings of abundance.
(All photos credit to Gigi Hickman Photography; October 2018)







3 comments:

mQn Photography said...

Beautifully said my wonderful friend!

Tbartley said...

I love your message! Cheers to turning 40, to 2019, and most importantly you!

Unknown said...

Oh, yes, Sara! Yes! I'm over here smiling and dancing (in my head) as I read your thoughts, so beautifully articulated! Thank you!