Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Textiquette

I've realized that I will never be an official bad-ass texter because I refuse to use the stupid shortcuts that so many insist on. This realization came last night, when I had to use my asterisk key several times in a row to have the correct punctuation come up. I won't be saying Gr8, because I feel like it's not that much more effort to use the predictive text function and tap out ALL the keys that will spell 'great'. I think that the most I've used is a sporadic LOL, which even felt silly to me, and I feel stupid doing.

I think that texting is a great form of communication in this fast-paced world where kids screaming in the background are not always conducive to an actual voicemail, but I do have enough respect for the recipient that I will use full sentences, thus, full thoughts.

I guess you can check back with me in a couple of years but 'OMG' I would be very sad to see the English language slip away while the human race reverts back to a series of caveman-esque grunts and abbreviations just because we're too lazy to use the full word for something.

1 comment:

OmegaWolf747 said...

I'm with you 100%. I despise text talk shortcuts so much that I bought a cell phone with a QWERTY keyboard to facilitate the completeness of my words and sentences within the confines of the 160 character limit.