Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Just Peachy


My neighbor and I had so much fun with our jam session, that we decided to purchase peaches from someone in her ward so that we could can them and bottle the goodness of summer.

Life has suddenly gone into hyper-speed, so it's been a few days and I still have the two boxes sitting in the garage, and will be purchasing the jars and canning the peaches tonight. In the meantime, I'd gone to the Bread Company and saw in their pastry case Peach Pie Pockets. Oh, did they look yummy! I knew I could easily replicate it at home as I've, of late, become a little bit obsessed with making pie crust. I had always been a firm believer in saving the time and buying the refrigerated crusts, but that was before I realized just how easy (and butter-tastic) a home-made crust could be when made in the food processor. My sister gave me a copy of Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything for my birthday, and I've found that lately I reach for it before Joy of Cooking. According to Mr. Bittman, if I could only find a supplier of 'good' lard, I'd be able to sub some in for the butter and have the best pie crust I've ever tasted.

But that aside, I did make the pie pockets last night for dessert, and since I had extra crust, I used That Girl's idea of homemade pop tarts using my jam for the filling and raw sugar sprinkled on top. It's a good thing I did, because little H has some texture issues with food. He loves fruit, but give him anything with fruit chunks in it (think yogurt) and it's gag-tastic. He tried so hard to like the pockets, but after I cut into them and he could see that it contained cut fruit he quietly turned it over and pronounced that he'd eat it upside down...and then proceeded to gag on his first swallow. So, pop tarts he ate, and with gusto.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Crafty Mama said...

Peach pie pockets sound fabulous!! I got Brian that cookbook by Mark Bittman a few years ago and I find that I reach for it more often than he does. I have yet to like the idea of rolling piecrust...whenever I try I end up destroying it.