Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ding, Dong the Cord is Gone!

I awoke this morning and looked through my un-spectacled eyes noting that C's torso was strangely, well, beige. There was no longer a black stump hanging from his midsection. I quickly grabbed my glasses from the bedside table as the first thought that raced through my mind was 'Please God, let it be in his diaper and not stuck to my body somewhere!' There is just something so sick about that little remnant of the life cord that bonded you to your child in utero. What started as such a beautiful thing is now an atrophied little lump that you're not really sure what to do with because you really just want to be able to give your kid a good old fashioned bath.

I was relieved to find that it was safely contained and quickly doffed his diaper while almost simultaneously filling the little plastic tub, so that he could be inducted into the world of the freakishly hygienic family of which he is a member. I have not ever been the person that can get up late for work and just decide to skip my shower...nope, I'd rather be late and in trouble than feel greasy all day. (Don't worry, I won't bathe my newborn every day, I'm not that out of control.)

Today is glorious for another reason; a friend offered to take H for the morning, so that he could have a fun outing with a friend, and come home in time for a nap. I felt so strange being able to just nurse C and then sit and rock him as long as I wanted afterward, without having to worry that I was neglecting someone, or something. I vacuumed H's room while he was gone, since the sound of the vacuum still freaks him out (as do all loud noises, I'm so thrilled to find with the summer thunder storm season here.)

This two-kid thing is tricky, but I'm finding that I'll like it. These rough months will hopefully be rewarded with two boys who enjoy playing with each other. Not all the time, I'm not delusional, but I hope my kids can have the kind of relationship that I have with my siblings; like my parents always said to my little sister and I 'We had both of you so you'd have a friend, now go play!'

1 comment:

Alex Elliot said...

What you mean you're not saving the umbilical cord stump forever and ever? I'm just kidding!