Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

(Don't) Flip It And Reverse It


I'm on my third of three skeins for the entrelac scarf, and I'm really enjoying this method. I think part of it is the yarn. Noro's colors are so vibrant, and it's visually just nice to see them changing from tier to tier.  I've seen comments from folks on Ravelry that said when knitting entrelac, it's worth your time to learn to knit backward so that you don't have to keep turning and purling on the wrong side.

I don't think it's quite as important for a scarf, because you don't have as much material, but if I were doing the blanket or shawl version of this, I can see where it would save a lot of time and tedium to not have to turn your work.

When I went on YouTube and saw just how easy it looks, I decided to try it out on the scarf so I can get the decreases down, and if it's as time-saving as it proposes to be, I can use it when I make a baby blanket. I love the idea of combining knitting and quilting for a winter baby. I was a little nervous that it would be awkward, or that it would take time to be quick with it, but it was super easy, and it makes very quick work of those rows. I will definitely use this if I have flat knit items that just need to be purled on the wrong side. I don't know how this would work for patterned items, though, as it would frankly be more work to modify the pattern to make it work.

I did break my rule and worked on some java jackets and baby legs while this scarf was on the needles, but that's because they were for an Etsy sale, which takes precedence over 'selfish knitting' projects.




I think I might actually keep the scarf for myself. I bought a fun faux fur collared down jacket when I was at Wrentham during my trip to Massachusetts, and this scarf will look mighty fine with it.

Here's the tutorial for you:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for linking to my knitted and quilted blanket. Love your scarf! You're right...the yarn is great!
Have a great holiday!!
Nikki

Melody said...

the baby legs are SO adorb!
the Entrelec is GORG! my girlfriend made one and it is so amazing, after it's blocked .. so beautiful!
yay for knitting!