Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2008

I Like to Move It, Move It...

Today I started the Couch to 5K program (well, I started exercising regularly period, really) and knew that I'd need an awesome soundtrack, so quickly prepared my Sally's Funky Fresh Fitness playlist, which included such classics as Back in Black and Nuthin' But a G Thang. Since it was J's iPod and I've never uploaded to it before, he quickly showed me how to add my playlist and I popped in the earbuds as I was putting on my shoes. C was sleeping and I had my widow of opportunity before the feeding frenzy began all over again.

Imagine my surprise as I was lacing up my tenny runners to hear the opening strains of Desperado...and I don't mean some funky rave re-mix. Yes, my Vulcan husband listens to the adrenaline-inducing Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesparaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadoooooooooooooooo whyyyyy doooooooon't you cooooooooooooooooome to your seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenses while running!


What?! I pulled the earphones out and said, "This is not my music! The upload didn't work!" He explained that I didn't have enough songs, so his 400 ballads remained and mine are just mixed into the "shuffle" somewhere...awesome. As if I don't have a hard enough time getting my ass in gear.

It's just disappointing when you're expecting the lyrical stylings of David Bowie (Under Pressure) or Iggy Pop (Lust for Life) and you get The Beatles (Yesterday). God, I almost fell asleep on the treadmill trying to find the skip button for that one!

I was treated to a variety of songs ranging from Chubby Checkers' The Twist to, waaaait for it, We've Only Just Begun by the Carpenters. I could do nothing but laugh, as I thought of my cute husband trucking along in his TINY ranger shorts to Sonny and Cher, The Carpenters and Air Supply. As much as I'm loathe to admit, The Twist kind of got me going, but I had to find the skip button when the Carpenters came on because, Bitch, Please! That is just ridiculous.

I had spaced my songs appropriately for the time I'd be working out so that I would have ended with the soothing sounds of Ingrid Michaelson, but instead got the sphincter-releasing bass line of Dr. Dre. As if by comic timing, the following songs came from J's line-up during my workout:

1. (While sweating a ridiculous amount for 20 minutes of jogging on a treadmill) Loser by Beck
2. (During the last interval) Push It by Salt-N-Peppa
3. (As I was walking the cool-down) I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor

It wasn't until I was walking back to the apartment that the song I'd been waiting for came blaring into my head...yes, my boy Eminem may come late to the party, but he always shows.

1 comment:

Alex Elliot said...

Hmmm...I have songs 1, 2 and 3 on my iPod as well as Air Supply. At least they're not on my running list though although now that I think of it Push It should be!