Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Golly G

Today, I opened the cupboard in the bathroom to get a diaper for H and remembered that I'd packed them all with me to Iowa. I got the remainders from the suitcase and then pondered again whether I should just start potty training while my friend is here from out of town as she would be more of a support than a hindrance in the process, even though we'll be busy. H is now three, and is showing more readiness and excitement about being potty trained.

My friend Alex called to see if I'd like to meet her with coffee and said that her YS had a surprise for us. Yes, he's a year younger than H and he showed up in big boy underpants. After two weeks of balancing H's gigantic body on the 'baby' changing stations in public bathrooms, I'm feeling a little self-conscious about his diaper-wearing status, but am nervous about the whole process, and don't want to do it 'wrong'. I think I need to just jump right in. The cost savings of buying diapers for just one baby instead of two will be significant and I'm ready to have only the breast milk poo to change...seriously, when you change a diaper that has a deuce as big as your own in it, it's a little sick. But if all goes well, he'll return the favor when I'm elderly, so there you have it.


Along that same line of thinking, I've decided to try G diapers on C. I got an email from diapers.com that had a coupon for $10 off, so bought the starter pack and a package of refills, which were waiting for me when I returned.


The good news is that even though they're about 1.5 times more expensive than disposable diapers, I will still see savings because I'll soon be buying diapers for only one child. I know that I've been rather snobby about global conservativism in the past, but I've started to realize that my cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face approach to all things green really isn't the most mature;and I am nothing if not mature.


I'll be reviewing G Diapers on Knitty Reviews in about a month and a half, giving myself enough time to really try them, as I've heard they take a little practice. I knew for sure that I wasn't going to be a cloth diaper mom, so this seems like it might be a happy medium.

No comments: