Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Full of Hot Air

This morning I was sitting with my coffee, staring at the wall while H watched PBS kids. Lost in thought, a little exhausted (is there such a thing) and contemplating dozing off, I was jolted into awareness when I realized that H was talking to me as he looked out the window saying "Look at that balloon, Mommy!"

Expecting to see someone with a balloon bouquet at the most, I turned to see a full-sized hot air balloon right in my line of sight, less than 50 yards away. It was vibrantly colored with blues, red and yellow, and it kind of made my stomach lurch. I realized that I'd never seen a hot air balloon in person that close. It was such a neat thing to see, and the colors were even more vibrant given the gray day outside.

I'm not sure why it was there, as it had to have been taking off from my complex parking lot. It was so unexpected that I even went to shake J awake and have him look out our bedroom window. It felt like when I was little and my mom would come into our bedrooms early in the morning to announce the season's first real snow fall.

It's times like this that I remember how fortunate I am that I get to re-discover the world through H and will have C to enhance the experience even more. It took me a second for all my thoughts to click and realize I should take a picture, so this is the closest one I got. It was so close that we could hear them firing it up. This is taken from my porch and the roofline is just the next building over.

No comments: