Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Seven Random Things

My friend Michele tagged me to write a post containing 7 random things you probably don't know about me, so here goes:

1. I have had a job since I was 13 and began baby-sitting. Staying at home was a huge decision for me, mostly because I was terrified of what people would think since I'd always been a 'worker'. After being home for over a year, I can say with confidence that it's the hardest job I'll ever do and I feel guilty for all the times I bitched about the gym having classes at 9am for all the 'stay-at-homes', or when I'd see them taking a walk with their double strollers and Starbucks lattes as I was driving by to do yet another assessment at odd hours, and turn to a co-worker to say "wow, they have it really hard..." Little did I know they were probably out in the fresh air before nap-time, doing anything to keep their sanity on a daily basis, watching the professionals lunching out and thinking "wow, it would be really nice to have a meal without my kids." I guess the grass is always greener.

2. I started attending church again under the guise that I want my kids to have the structure and support that belonging to the Catholic community brought me, but it's also because I still really like the donuts they serve at coffee hour...for free.

3. I have attended more funerals than most people my age, both for old relatives and peers. I have a completely morbid curiosity for anything surrounding death and dying and am petrified, to the point that I get relatively intense anxiety sometimes, of dying before my kids are old enough to take care of themselves or remember me.

4. I love being pregnant. It's the time in my life that I felt the most confident about my body (aside from childhood) no matter how huge I got.

5. I'm a very self-conscious person when put in new situations so my coping mechanism is to be uber loud, and jump right in. I also tear off band-aids quickly and run (not walk) into the cold ocean.

6. When I was three years-old I poked around 20 holes in my mom and dad's water bed with an exacto knife while I was supposed to be taking a nap. My dad was at summer camp for the National Guard, and my mom had all the daycare kids at the house. You may be asking yourself, How did a three year-old have access to an exacto knife?! Well, my mom was in her I'm-going-to-be-a-ceramics-goddess phase, which resulted in us having cool stuff like a glazed ceramic toilet clock in the bathroom. Tres chic. It is the one spanking that I remember getting from my mom, and I think I knew even then that I deserved it. Truthfully, I was most disappointed that I didn't get one of the Jell-O Pudding Pops at snack that the Bloom girls had brought with them that day. (Don't you remember those sweet Bill Cosby commercials?)

7. I had my gall bladder removed a couple of months after having H, which alleviated my completely ridiculous diarrhea and stomach cramps that followed pretty much every meal for about 5 years. (To the point that my doctor tested me for Giardia in college.) Oddly enough, rampant diarrhea still has a social stigma attached. J's college room-mate loved it when I stayed over.

Wow, this ended up being a little mini-therapy session. Analyze this, beyotches.
I now tag Sherri, Milly V., Alex and That Girl. If you're reading this and want to do it, I'd love to see what you write, just leave me a comment and I'll check it out!

4 comments:

Alex Elliot said...

I think the next time I go home I'm going to investigate the Catholic church I attended to see where the donuts are being hidden! I love that you can talk so openly about diarrhea. Hubby is disturbed at how much I can talk about GI issues!

The Caffeinated Mommy said...

Oh my Lord, I LOVE your blog!! I don't know if you remember me, I'm Amy Murray--Heidi's friend from work in Portland. (I bought some Mary Kay stuff from you once!) I started a blog here and Heidi told me I should go check yours out, and it totally cracks me up each time I read your posts. I can SO relate to the things you talk about! Keep up the great work, I love it! (Oh, and my blog is amylmurray01.blogspot.com if you want to check it out.)

That Girl said...

Here are my 7: http://thatgirlis.blogspot.com/2008/10/seven-random-things.html

Amanda Villagómez said...

I did my seven random things:
http://enbuscadeequilibrio.blogspot.com/2008/10/7-random-things.html

Oh, I just realized That Girl did hers too. I can't wait to see them.