Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hana Hou!

(I took this picture at Molokini!)

I just finished the book Sweet Life by Mia King, and it has me waxing poetic about warmer climates and tropical fun.
The month before J's graduation from medical school, I took him on a trip for which I had saved (I know...shocking; I am not a great saver) to Maui. Granny and Papa came to stay with H at our home in Portland so that he could continue with his routine, and we could have a real vacation before leaving everything we knew for the next chapter on the east coast.

With our trusty copy of Maui Revealed in hand, we had an amazing ten days filled with fresh coconut and mango ice cream, gorgeous sunsets from the up-country (Kula) house that we rented from a friend of mine at work, sunny beaches, amazing views from Haleakala, a harrowing drive to Hana and, of course, a few days of plate lunch.

I wasn't sure if I'd get claustrophobic scuba diving, so wanted to try snorkeling first; it was such an overwhelming feeling of peace once your face is in that water, so clear and beautiful in the protection of the crater of Molokini. We attended the requisite luau, but mostly we just relaxed, drove around the island with the top down, wind in our hair, and enjoyed each other's company.

We flew Hawaiian, which has direct flights to both Maui and Honolulu and still has a meal service for us plebes in coach.

Having grown up in the waters of creeks fed from mountain snow run-off, dipping my toes in bath-tub warm water was deee-lish. I always knew I was a summer person, but that clinched it. Ironically, I'm also "Sweaty Betty" so this trip was well-timed and allowed me to embrace the wet heat before moving to the sweltering summer that was our first in Massachusetts.

Much to my delight, I learned that a part of J's residency is an elective month in the third year to Oahu in order to practice tropical and hyperbaric medicine. I think the keikis will love a trip to see Granny and Papa, then I can gracefully exit and join J for a good week of R & R. I foresee scuba certification at Central Mass Diving before departure.
This Haole can't wait to be laying on the beach with a book, by myself, slathered in Maui Babe tanning lotion (over SPF 400 of course), drinking iced tea and eating all the fresh fruit and Saloon Pilot crackers with guava jelly and peanut butter a girl could ask for...mmm...Hana Hou!

3 comments:

Maggie Bahnson said...

What a nice trip to look forward to. Kind of like incentive to stick around for the next 1.5 years of J's residency? hee hee. I know I'm going to need a reward/celebration for myself once Fred's done!
And scuba diving? You go girl! I love the snorkeling but still can't take the scuba diving plunge. Fred actually finished his certification requirements in Hawaii last spring. It sounded like he saw great stuff there.

Sherri said...

Oooh, makes me want to go to the islands too! And not for work this time!
Can I borrow that book now? :)

Crafty Mama said...

Looking out the window in downtown Wootown today, Maui sounds better than Christmas morning!!!